Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Rhubarb Cream Cheese Hand Pies

This recipe was a risk for me for several reasons. I often do not do fancy desserts or snacks unless taking it to a family gathering so that more of it gets eaten (with just two people, it takes quadruple the number of meals to finish anything). I also am not a huge fan of making things with crust. I feel there is too much room for error, and would much rather leave the crusted desserts up to someone else who knows what they're doing. However, I decided to take a challenge! Get the original recipe here.
Rhubarb Cream Cheese Hand Pies

Like many newlyweds, I got my food processor from my registry. I almost didn't even register for a food processor, thinking I'd never use it. However, a friend found a blender with a smaller food processor attachment. I thought this would be perfect because it won't take up as much space, and I wouldn't ever need a big one anyways. 

I was wrong.

This recipe would have been much easier in a larger food processor! I did not realize that a food processor needs space, especially for dough, to mix properly. The flour, sugar and salt for the dough fit into the processor, but didn't move when I attempted to pulse it. 

If you only have a small processor as I do, no worries. That is why I'm here. To warn you before you dirty 2 more dishes and have flour everywhere as I did. I ended up splitting the flour mixture into thirds and split the butter and buttermilk which is added into the flour mixture in the same way. I still easily kneaded each portion together to make a super-dough. 
The size of half of the dough mixture

Tip about buttermilk: Did you know that you can freeze buttermilk? I almost always make my own using lemon juice and milk (1 cup of milk and 1 tbsp of lemon juice; let set for approx. 5 minutes or until it begins to curdle), but I was nervous to do that with dough which might be more sensitive to ingredients. So I bought a small container, and still only used half of it. Buttermilk is known to freeze well, so it is in my freezer awaiting its next use. 

For the rhubarb filling, I used 1 lb. of frozen chopped rhubarb and wish I used more as it ended up being quite a bit less as it thawed and I rang the water out. I then had less of the rhubarb filling than the cream cheese filling in the end. As you might notice, my rhubarb filling is not a beautiful red as is the recipe's picture. This only depends on the type of rhubarb you use.  I happen to have access to a green-colored rhubarb. 

As you might imagine, I do not have a round cookie or biscuit cutter. So I improvised using a mason jar. Many of the mugs I had were too large, but a wine glass or tumbler might also be the right size. Because the dough was thin, I just pressed the jar down hard enough to make the cut. 
A mason jar was a good size instead of buying a round cookie or biscuit cutter

I experimented with putting the cream cheese filling and the rhubarb down first. I found quickly that putting the cream cheese down first causes it to spread out and was more likely to leak towards the edges. I hypothesized that this is the case either because the egg wash underneath causes it to spread or because the rhubarb filling is heavy, causing it to flatten and spread. 
Rhubarb filling on the bottom-how I preferred to stack the fillings
Cream cheese filling on the bottom-the cream cheese filling seemed to spread

I feared that creating a clean slip on the top dough would guarantee that filling seeped out of it. So most of my slits did not cut through the whole way. I had multiple pies that expanded enough to break the seal, but my main goal was no mess, not appearance, which I achieved! 
Prior to putting them in the oven

I wonder if I baked them a bit longer than the suggested time if they would have become a bit more golden brown like the beautiful picture on the original website. However, the dough was cooked perfectly, so I didn't want to over-bake them. 

For the next time, I think I actually might like a bigger circle so that I can fill each one with more filling. It would also make less pies (this batch made a minimum of 36 pies with enough extra dough to do a medium sized pastry and filling at the end).
This was a fun learning experience and a delicious pastry! 

Rhubarb Cream Cheese Hand Pies 
Crust
3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
3/4-1 cup buttermilk
Rhubarb Filling
1 lb rhubarb stalks, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup sugar
Cream Cheese Filling
4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp lemon juice
1 large egg yolk
For assembly
1 egg
1 Tbsp water
Coarse sugar

Instructions:
1. To make the pie dough, in the bowl of a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the butter pieces to the bowl and pulse until the pies are pea-sized. Add in 3/4 cup of the buttermilk and pulse until the dough starts to come together. Turn out onto a clean surface and knead until it is fully combined, adding more buttermilk as needed.
2. Split the dough in half and pat into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight. Repeat with second half of dough.
3. For the rhubarb filling, put the rhubarb and sugar in a medium pot. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 15 minutes, no need to stir. Increase the heat to medium, remove the lid, and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until running a spoon across the bottom of the pot leaves a trail. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. For the cream cheese filling, whisk together the cream cheese, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and egg yolk. Chill until ready to use.
5. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Beat remaining egg and 1 tbsp water. Set aside.
6. On a well-floured surface, roll out the dough until it is about 1/8th-inch thick. Using a cookie or biscuit cutter, cut the dough into 2 or 3-inch circles.
7. Brush half of the dough circles very lightly with the egg wash. Top with 1 tsp rhubarb filling and 1 tsp cream cheese filling. Top each with a second circle that has been vented by making small cuts in it. Press the edges together so that they form a seal. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough. Brush the tops with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar. 
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Allow to cool before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment